Water damage is one of the most common causes of iPhone and iPad failure.
If your iPhone or iPad is accidentally wet, removing the water and preventing further damage immediately is essential.
So, quickly check this guide to know how to remove water from iPhones and iPads.
Methods to Remove Water from iPhones or iPads
If you have accidentally dropped your iPhone or iPad into the water, then without further delay, check out these methods and apply them to remove water and prevent further damage to your device.
Also know How to stop iPhone from dimming.
1) Turn off the iPhone or iPad
Turn your iPhone or iPad off immediately if you have accidentally dropped it into the water.
To turn the iPhone or iPad off, do one of the following:
- If you have an iPhone with a face ID, press & hold the side button and the volume buttons until you see the sliders. Then, drag the top slider.
- If you use an iPhone with a Home button, press & hold the side button and drag the slider.
- For all the iPhone models, open Settings. Go to the General tab and drag the slider.
2) Remove All The Accessories
Remove all the attached accessories from the iOS device.
Using any charging cable or accessories when the device is wet can damage it.
So, allow at least 5-6 hours before charging it again or connecting any lightning accessories.
Make sure not to open the SIM tray of a wet iOS device. This will prevent the water from seeping into your device.
3) Wipe Off The Water From Your iPhone Or iPad
Wipe the iPhone or iPad with a soft, lint-free cloth. Ensure not to use any cleaning products or compressed air as they can cause further damage.
Wipe till the iPhone or iPad is dry from the outside. Tap the device gently against your palm to dry the iPhone or iPad with a lightning connector facing downward.
This should remove the excess liquid.
Then, leave the iPad or iPhone in a dry area with enough airflow. A fan that can blow air directly to the lightning connector can make drying faster.
Make sure not to insert any foreign device or use any external source of heat to dry the devices, as this can cause damage.
4) Use Some Good Absorbent
You can use some good absorbent to soak water from your iPhone or iPad, like Silica gel or rice.
Both are known to absorb moisture. So, you can put the iPhone or iPad inside a tin of uncooked rice or silica gel bags.
Leave the iOS device for a few hours in rice or silica gel.
But later, ensure the particles of rice do not clog the ports on your iOS device.
5) Clean the Speaker
You can use Siri shortcuts to eject water out of the iPhone speakers. Here is how to do so:
- Open iPhone Settings. Go to Shortcuts. Toggle the button for Allow Untrusted shortcuts to turn it on.
- When asked, enter your passcode to continue. Download the Water Eject shortcut and add it to the iPhone.
- Scroll to the bottom & select the Add Untrusted Shortcut option.
- Open the Shortcut app and tap on the My Shortcuts tab.
- Select the Water Eject Shortcut.
- Tap the Begin Water Ejection button, and the app should start working.
- While the shortcut runs, you will hear sounds, and it should start ejecting water from the speaker.
If you cannot trust the Siri Shortcut, you can use similar apps like Sonic to eject water from your iPhone speakers.
You can also use websites to remove water from the iPhone speakers, like an Online Tone Generator.
6) Contact Apple Support for Help
If nothing helps, then you can seek expert help by taking the iPhone or iPad to Apple’s service center or by contacting Apple support for help.
Wait till the experts repair your wet iPhone or iPad and remove water from them.
Tips To Avoid Liquid Damage To iPhone and iPad
Supported models of iPhones and iPads are liquid and dust-resistant, but these are not permanent conditions, and liquid damage is not covered under the warranty period.
So, you should always prevent any liquid damage to your iOS device by avoiding the following conditions:
- Bathing or swimming with your iOS device.
- Exposing the iPhone to any high velocity or pressurized water like water skiing, showering, surfing, jet skiing, etc.
- Not taking your iPhone to the steam or sauna bathrooms is recommended.
- Do not submerge your iOS device in water or any liquid.
- Make sure not to operate the iPhone or iPad in extremely humid conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
- Can I fix my iPhone or iPad with water damage?
If you dropped your iPhone or iPad in water and it was submerged for a long period of time, then there is no guarantee that it will get fixed. Yu can take it to the Apple service center and see if this can fix it.
- How much water can damage the iPad?
iPads cannot resist water damage, unlike some specific models of iPhones. So, if your iPad is wet, it is better to take it to the nearest service center.
- For how long can iPhone 13 stay in the water?
iPhone 13 can stay submerged in 6-meter-deep water for about 30 minutes.
So, that is all you can do if your iPhone or iPad is wet. Ensure you do not cause further damage to your devices, and be cautious next time.
Ask us in the comments section below for further queries, and we shall quickly revert with answers.